[3830] MiQP N1IW/8 Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n1iw@yccc.org
Subject: [3830] MiQP N1IW/8 Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 06:56:17 -0700
                    Michigan QSO Party

Call: N1IW/8
Operator(s): N1IW
Station: N1IW/8

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MTMO
Operating Time (hrs): 12

   80:   93     74
   40:  140    133
   20:   81     38
   15:    0      0
   10:    0      0
--------------------
Total:  314    245  CW Mults = 69  Ph Mults = 75  Total Score = 125,712

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Arrived at the cabin north of Atlanta on Friday morning after doing battle with
Delta for custody of my 2 checked bags on Thursday evening. Nothing like
charging $30 a bag to the 60 or so folks on the flight to Bay City from Detroit
and then failing to put any of them on the plane. Can you say "Knuckleheads"?
But I digress... Here are the Cliff Notes:

Snowed off and on most of Saturday afternoon with a couple of whiteouts from
passing squalls. Gotta love springtime in Michigan! My brother drove up from
Grand Rapids on Monday and we spent some time Morel hunting before I flew back
to NH on Wednesday. Gathered 100+ (Yum!)

Started off with a goal of 500 Qs/100K points. New rig this year: borrowed an
IC-7000 from a friend to test drive it as a replacement/upgrade to my
IC-706MkIIG. I'm a convert; an IC-7000 is definitely in my future. Thanks Bill
(NE1B)!

Started out at 16Z on 20M CW, netting 47 Qs in the first hour compared to 43
last year. By 19Z I had left last years score in the dust with 147 Qs compared
to last years 78! Pretty much stuck to the SSB at top of hour, CW at bottom of
hour guidance unless I had reasonable rate going. Crossed the 500 QSO boundary
just after 0300Z with my friend W8TOM, also in MTMO. Tom said he was waiting to
pounce on me for #500. Also worked yet another MTMO: K8LEW (the Lewiston Area
Amateur Radio Club crew).

Ended up completely crushing last years score and set a new personal record:
559/144 for 126k pts. Best hour was the last on 80/75 with 76 Qs, with 4
greater than 60 QSO hours. I logged 42 MI counties and only missed SD, VT, NV,
HI for WAS. Looking at the scores posted so far, I am extremely pleased with
the performance of my austere "up north" station.

The off-center fed dipole + 100W also netted me 24 DX QSOs while running. A
sign the bands are improving. OM2VL and DL3XXA were everywhere; worked them
both on 20, 40, and 80. Nice to see the participation from Europe.

Thanks to the Mad River Radio Club folks for hosting a fun event. See you all
next year!

Rig: IC-7000, 100W
PC Interface: Microham MicroKeyer
Antenna: 80M off-center fed dipole up 30 feet (80M, 40M, 20M, no tuner)
Software: N1MM Logger