[3830] ManMin AA CW VE6TL SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ManMin AA CW VE6TL SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 19:39:11 -0700
                    Manchester Mineira All America CW Contest

Call: VE6TL
Operator(s): VE6TL
Station: VE6TL

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Calgary
Operating Time (hrs): 9.5

   80:
   40:   45     10
   20:  215     28
   15:   16     10
   10:
----------------------
Total:  276     48  Total Score = 33,696

Club: ALBERTA CLIPPERS

Comments:

Even though condx were really poor (lowest SFI in 7 months), I managed to more
than double last year's score.  The difference was HP vs LP, using the packet
spots this year, and my new rig - FTDX-5000MP.  I've had the rig a week now and
still learning how to optimize things.  The filtering is so sharp that I have to
be careful not to exclude stations calling just slightly off frequency.  The 300
Hz roofing filter really seemed to help.

The biggest problem, apart from poor condx, was the QSB.  A station could go
from S9 to completely gone in the time it took to give half their call.
Sometimes they would come back and some times not.  And for the first time that
I can recall, 80m was completely dead last night.  I checked my antenna and it
seemed to load up ok but didn't hear a thing!

I keep hoping for the sun to wake up and always say that I'll see you next year
when the propagation finally improves.  I won't say that anymore.  Instead, I'll
see you when I see you.  The sun can do whatever it wants (and I'm sure it
will).

73,

Jerry VE6TL