[3830] WPX CW R3/SM6LRR SO(A)AB(TS) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW R3/SM6LRR SO(A)AB(TS) LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 01:59:01 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: R3/SM6LRR
Operator(s): SM6LRR
Station: R3/SM6LRR

Class: SO(A)AB(TS) LP
QTH: Naro-Fominsk
Operating Time (hrs): 18

------------
  160:
   80:  128
   40:  311
   20:   85
   15:   45
   10:   35
------------

Club: Top of Europe Contesters

Comments:

Due to some local "QRN", my vertical for 160/80/40 was down for repair and I
decided to erect a 1/4-wave vertical for 40 and work SOSB40LP. However, working
on one band would restrict my chances of adding more QSOs to the Swedish HF
Contest Cup www.hfcup.se, so decided to add one radial each for 10, 15 and 20
meters.

Thanks to my friend R3/DL5EBE (Dom) I could borrow his small MFJ Travel Tuner
and this simple antenna with too few radials on high bands proved to work
acceptable also on the high bands. Some Sporadic E also helped to lift the weak
signal above the noice level.

I also managed to finally get a nobile internet connection, so for the first
time ever from this QTH, I could connect to the cluster. Although I am truly
not a fun of cluster use during contests, I wanted to try it out :)

So became a SOAB Assisted LP entry instead of the planned single 40 operation.
Looking into the band breakdown, I maybe should have gone for the second
option. More than 50% of the QSOs were made on 40 meters with some nice DX
contacts such as: FM5BH, YN2GY and PJ4A.

WPX CW is a great CW contest with lots of activity and excellent operators from
all over the world. It is my favourite CW contest that also gives a lot of
pleasure to stations with moderate equipment.

TRCVR:  FT 1000D
Power:  100 Watts (according to Daiwa CN-101L)
Antennas:  1/4-wave vertical for 40 meters (9.75 meter) with 100 radials for 40
and one (1) radial each for 10,15, 20. On 80 meters I used a low dipole, 7
meters at feeding point and 3 meters at the ends. No antenna for 160 meters.

See you next year for sure!

73 de R3/SM6LRR,Mats