[3830] WPX CW WX3B M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wx3b@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW WX3B M/2 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 16:54:27 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: WX3B
Operator(s): WX3B, K3WI
Station: WX3B

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 36

------------
  160:    0
   80:  283
   40:  723
   20: 1124
   15:  330
   10:   39
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Many thanks to Bill, K3WI for spending his weekend at WX3B and providing me with
the motivation to spend most of the weekend at the radio.

A number of interesting improvements are underway at WX3B.

John, W3ADC provided a 6 element 10 meter Monobander to replace the Force 12
C3S and it was intalled by Steve, NY3A the week before the contest....we even
got to work a few Europeans on 10 meters with the new antenna!  It's nice
having a good pattern and a quiet antenna on 10, WX3B is ready for sunspots
now.

The 160 inverted L and 80 meter vertical were removed and the 80 meter dipole
center was replaced.  Beverages were run for the weekend and they turned out to
be priceless for 75m reception.  In the fall, phased 80 meter verticals will
replace the single element vertical, and the 160 L will be re-installed.
Thanks to Kam N3KS for the phasing box.

Friday night began with a few friends dinner and eventually the contest....good
activity on 20 & 40.  K3WI kept at it all night after WX3B went to bed at
midnight....got up again....and went back to bed at 2:30am.

Saturday morning was a rude surprise.

A solar disturbance kept our rates surpingly low, and 15 was not providing the
European bonanza we were hoping for.

In the late afternoon the bands improved, and we had a good time on 40 & 80
Saturday night.

Sunday morning started off promising with better conditions, however the bands
never totally opened for us until after noon - and 15 was very hit or miss with
the Europeans.

I enjoyed playing with the new telnet service telnet.reversebeacon.net.  It is
a realtime array of skimmers, and you can program it to look for specific
spots, or spotters.  I set up a peer group consisting of some excellent
stations and compared my signal report skims with my peers.  It's a great
resource to monitor your signal, and your competitors in real time.

Our score is low, and those points were hard earned, however it IS a high water
mark for this contest at WX3B.

Very 73 and a good summer to everyone!

Jim  WX3B