[3830] WPX CW AC0DS SOSB80 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, craig@powersmith.net
Subject: [3830] WPX CW AC0DS SOSB80 LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 18:19:52 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: AC0DS
Operator(s): AC0DS
Station: AC0DS

Class: SOSB80 LP
QTH: CO - Longmont
Operating Time (hrs): 9

------------
  160:
   80:  212
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

My goal was to select an entry category that would not take a lot of time so
that I could enjoy doing NOTHING most of the holiday weekend. Met that goal,
but results were modest at best from a score perspective.  Selected 80 meters
so that my daytime and early evening hours were free for other stuff.

Single K3 at 100W.  Temporary wire transmit antennas were a 50 ft wire vertical
and a full sized dipole hung in an inverted U configuration with top at 35 ft.
Downsized K9AY RX antenna.

Not too much activity.  Did not hear Europe at all this year.  Worked one
Africa, several South America and a few JA and ZL.  So most all USA and VE from
here.

I did not anticipate that Saturday evening would bring a string of
thunderstorms through the area.  Had to time the erection of the antennas
between them and finally got them up about 8:30 on Saturday evening.  Lots of
QRN as many others of you experienced.  My RX noise floor was about 20 db
higher than my usual not great residential level, so copy rough the second
night.  The LCR will not be pretty.  My apologies to those who may have been
calling when I could not pull you out of the noise.   Worked Ken W0ETT from
Grand Mesa - thanks Ken!

 73  Craig  AC0DS