[3830] WPX CW NQ4I M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, NQ4I@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW NQ4I M/M HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 04:21:39 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: NQ4I
Operator(s): NQ4I,N3ZL,K1PT,W4IX,K4MM,K4ST,VE7ZO,W7FB,K4UEE,K4TD,KY4F,
Station: NQ4I

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Griffin, Ga
Operating Time (hrs): 48.0

------------
  160:  145
   80:  443
   40: 1412
   20: 1735
   15:  872
   10:  445
------------

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

We started the contest with some big expectations...goals were 8050 qso's and 30
million points...Conditions had been very poor for many weeks leading up to this
contest and I was sure that we would get a rather large bounce back effect on
propagation...needless to say I missed the boat on propagation for my qth...it
could not have been much worse...Friday night was a surprise on 15m and 10m as
the bands stayed open until nearly midnight local time...and we even had a
couple JA's in the log on 15m...after that 15m and 20m saw very few JA's during
the whole contest...Friday night propagation on 160m, 80m and 40m was not that
good either and then the whole weekend we had major thunderstorms nearby and in
the area the whole weekend...ugh!!! N3ZL on 160m and K1PT on 80m deserve an
award for braving the QRN and QRM to make any qso's!!! 20m stayed open most of
the first night and produced the best runs to EU that we had...first timer
K4UEE did a valiant job at 20m Run to keep filling the log...and has been
mentioned by nearly every other participant, propagation on Saturday was not
very spectacular! The high band op's 0n 20m, 15m and 10m struggled through the
day for every qso...some 10m openings to EU caused some excitement though...but
the band did not have the same type Sporadic E opening Saturday night...once
again the low band boys did a stellar job of warming the ether with endless
cq's!!! At 0630 local (1030Z) I sat down at the 10m sattion to turn things on
and let the amp warm up, as I had planned to use the next hour making the guys
their breakfast...lo and behold CQ3L was S9 plus 10 db!! Never saw another EU
with such a huge signal the whole weekend...he lasted for nearly an hour with
this amazing signal...Had to be Es propagation and he was the only EU we could
hear for nearly 4 hours...Sunday's conditions picked up considerably from the
previous days and started our excitement level as it teased us with the hopes
of better propagation...on 10m we ended up with nearly 40 EU's in the
log...never got spotted and could have made many more maybe!! On 15m it payed
to be further to the south...as evidenced by NQ4I OPerator W4SVO operating from
home ...Mark had much better conditions to EU than we did and made almost a
hundred more qso's than we did...using reverse beacons all day Sunday kept the
op's busy...but a time approached where even Skimmer could not find us anybody
to work...on a good note, no equipemnt failures..we had some operator errors
with the Orion's and WinKeyer that caused a few gremlins to appear...but all in
all a great weekend with no major equipment problems...want to thank our FCG
buddies K4MM, K1PT for driving all the way from South Florida to be part of the
team...also to Greg N3ZL who just finished up his college studies and drove from
South Carolina to be a part of the team....Old regular op's VE7ZO, W7FB, K4TD,
KY4F, and the Drubber W4IX made up a small but efficient contest team..and for
a first time in a long time, I had to be an active operator...normally I spend
my time in the back ground fixing minor glitches and assisting and filling in
when needed....this time I did a full time effort on 10m...the new 10m 4 high
stacks really work well...quiet and very efficient...come on Sunspots!!! The
swimming pool had been opened a few weeks before the contest and I encouraged
all op's to bring a bathing suit...think only one of two even had a chance to
get in...between cq'ing and thunder storms not much chance...we ended up the
contest with a major storm just a few miles away and threatning us for a number
of hours...ugh again!! Congrats to the KM3T team at KC1XX for a valiant effort
with only 3 op's .....being close to EU never hurts one points per qso ratio
either!!! We spent the whole weekend checking Getscores.org to see if it would
make it up!! We got hooked on watching the scoreboard in a number of previous
contests and were really anticipating watching the leaderboard this weekend
too!! Not So...sure hope it will get resolved and operational soon! And in
normal practices at NQ4I M-M's we all headed to El Charro at the end of the
contest for a Mexican meal!! Cold Cerveza's and Margarita's were a fine ending
to the weekend!! 73 and see every one in CQWW SSB and CW de Rick NQ4I