[3830] WPX CW W5JR SO(A)AB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w5jr@bellsouth.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW W5JR SO(A)AB QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 20:58:57 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: W5JR
Operator(s): W5JR
Station: W5JR

Class: SO(A)AB QRP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 10.5

------------
  160:    0
   80:   20
   40:   38
   20:   23
   15:   22
   10:   12
------------

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

First time QRP effort, the fastest way to uncover (confirm!) antenna
deficiencies.  I knew my best bands would be 40 & 80, but never expected 20 dB
over DX to ignore me on 20m and above. After tough slogging on Saturday, I
checked the power level with another wattmeter and discovered my power was just
below 1w - increasing it to a full 5w suddenly started the ball rolling.  Lesson
learned is to have a good QRP wattmeter on hand if one intends to run QRP on a
100w class radio.  As others have mentioned, the storms impacted the available
"good" operating time as well as scheduled weekend activities with the family.

Icom 756ProII (ultimately turned "up" to 5w) with 160, 80, & 40 verticals in
the woods.  And a Buckmaster OCF at 35'