[3830] WPX CW KZ9O(KB9OWD) SOAB(TS) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ryantiff@charter.net
Subject: [3830] WPX CW KZ9O(KB9OWD) SOAB(TS) LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 14:55:13 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: KZ9O
Operator(s): KB9OWD
Station: KB9OWD

Class: SOAB(TS) LP
QTH: WI
Operating Time (hrs): 30

------------
  160:    0
   80:   76
   40:  247
   20:  445
   15:  191
   10:  140
------------
Total: 1100  Prefixes = 412  Total Score = 695,456

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

I reflect what alot have posted.  The storm on Saturday killed my score and 20
never seemed itself all weekend.  40 and 80 were a mess of QRN both nights
here, worse on Saturday than Friday.

I started out Friday about the same as last year.  One killer was the fact that
I was supposed to get done work about 3 hours before the contest but ended up
walking in the door with 20 minutes to spare.  I got on and was dredging along
and worked the first 6 hours.  Real nice openings on 10 and 15 Friday evening.
CA was 20 over 9 on 10 meters about 10:00 P.M. local and I even had a few VK and
ZL call in on 15 about 10:30 P.M. local with nice signals.

Saturday was just rough with the storm.  Worked a couple of the EU big guns
early then the storm washed everyone out.  Even stateside was tough and nil on
10 or 15.  Saturday evening brought a few big EU signals back however nothing
compared to last year.  I never heard a JA anywhere, on any band, all weekend.
That's unheard of (no pun intended)!!

Sunday was better and thank goodness for the openings on 10 and 15.  10 was
open coast to coast for a bit late morning and 15 had good signals all day
although no EU.  20 was still rough here with only the real strong EU making it
through.  This really hurt the score as last year I was able to run EU on 20 to
some extent both days and had a great opening over the pole for 2 hours
Saturday evening to really increase the score.

I thought about pulling the plug many times over the weekend but kept pushing
on.  I took a few hours of unplanned off time to keep my sanity.  Went down the
street by some friends hosting a rummage sale on Saturday.  Saturday evening I
joined the same frieds for a camp fire in the late evening for a few hours.  I
came up with a horrible headache both afternoons to add to the misery.

On the bright side, it was nice to see 10 rebounding a bit and 15 as well.
Slowly but surely, things seem to be on the upswing.  Outside of the contest,
May has been a good month.  Hit 30 so no longer a "young buck" in my 20's and
found out my wife and I are expecting our first child in January!!!

The score is about half of last year.  101 qso's less and about 150 less mults
and many less 3 pointers added to the low score!!!  Lets hope conditions don't
stink out for IARU.

See many of you in Field Day was W9TCH.  I will likely be our only CW op and
then with the home call for IARU.

73

Ryan KB9OWD