[3830] AlQP W0BH SOMixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w0bh@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] AlQP W0BH SOMixed HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 09:52:39 -0700
                    Alabama QSO Party

Call: W0BH
Operator(s): W0BH
Station: W0BH

Class: SOMixed HP
QTH: KS
Operating Time (hrs): 11.5
Radios: SO2R

  160:
   80:   41      1
   40:  114     28
   20:   87     22
   15:    1      0
   10:
--------------------
Total:  243     51  CW Mults = 62  Ph Mults = 26  Total Score = 47,256

Club:

Comments:

The AQP seems to be getting better every year! For once it was nice and quiet
here in Kansas, but it sounds like storm QRN was a problem in-state, so hats
off for hanging in there.  Like last year, 15, 20, and 40 were all open into AL
from Kansas at the start, but just couldn't find stations to work on 15.  I
tried moving a number of mobiles up there, but the ones I asked weren't able to
go, so I only made one contact with a loud NE4M (also my only 4 band contact).

Overall, I worked a combined 63/67 counties, missing Barber, Bullock, Coffee,
and Escambia (also missed Henry on CW).  This year I spend a lot less time on
SSB and concentrated more on picking up multi-band mobile contacts.  It paid
off in total score compared to last year, a 40% increase.  Several of the
mobiles were really predictable and easy to find as they switched bands, and
the unsolicited next county timing info was especially helpful:

39 N4ZZ/m
32 N5WR/m
27 W4NZ/m
25 NY4N/m
18 W4AQP/m
15 KN4Y/m
10 KC4HW/m
09 K4K/m
03 K4NO/r W4W/r
02 WA4UHC/m (just driving along)
01 W4AN/m

Consistently loudest mobile signal into Kansas award goes to N4ZZ/m this year,
although N5WR/m was a close second.  I think last year was N5WR's first try at
mobile contesting, and I have to compliment Erik on another outstanding job.

I did manage one contact with W4AN/m and was expecting many more but it was not
to be.  After reading Jeff's post, I'm glad to hear that it was only a battery
issue.  More than once, I've had to jump my van from a spare battery after a
really good run.

Excellent work coordinating the AQP, Jim, and thanks to the ACG and the Alabama
hams who made this so much fun!

73, Bob, w0bh

PS Listen for the Kansas QSO Party the last weekend in August.  It was really
crazy last year and we're looking forward to an even bigger event in 2010.