[3830] ARRL June VHF KR1ST Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kr1st@amsat.org
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF KR1ST Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 14:15:28 -0700

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  143    82  Total Score = 11,890

Club: I'm Hearing Things

Comments:

Rig: IC-756-ProIII (6m), FT-897(2m, 70cm)
Ant: MQ-26 Two Element Mini HF Beam, yep also for 2 and 432 :)
PWR: 100W (6m), 50W (2m), 20W (70cm)

My wife and I decided not to work as a rover this year because of the excessive
heat warning with a predicted heat index of 110F. So I worked this contest solo
for a few hours from the shack. As it turned out, it was a wise decision since
6m was open in many directions on both days, with Saturday clearly being the
winner. This makes for lousy rover operations because you put a lot of time and
effort into building your rover for multiple bands only to find that everyone is
parked on 6m. I wish 6 meters would be dropped from this contest.

It was nice to work some double hop on 6. I'm sure if the World Cup wasn't on,
I'd have worked VUCC in a single day.

The HF mini beam seems to load up on 2m and 70cm. One can only imagine what the
radiation pattern is of such an animal on those bands. In any case it was good
for less than a handful of contacts on 2m and 70cm.

Let's get 70MHz here in the US and drop 6m for a much more interesting contest.
:)

73,
--Alex KR1ST
http://www.kr1st.com