[3830] ARRL FD W2IRT 1E LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w2irt@njdxa.org
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD W2IRT 1E LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 15:51:20 -0700

  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

The good: Pretty decent score, reliable equipment. The bad: "PLEASE COPY..."

First-time in the 1E category, first time with two operators in any contest at
my station. Had solid, reliable performance from a brand-new Honda 2000i
generator and a deep-cycle solar-recharged battery that we used after the genny
was shut down for the overnight.

Equipment-wise all the permanent hardware performed flawlessly (tower, rotor,
antennae, etc). Unlike in real contests, I use my DXpedition kit for FD, which
consists of an IC-7000, a 23A switching power supply for when we were on the
genny, an LDG low-power tuner and a MicroHam USB-II interface. Everything's
tied together through an IBM T-40 and N1MM. Here, too, everything went well for
the most part with a couple of notable exceptions:

First, the original Heil hand switch is one step above useless and cut out
regularly. Second, the VOX gain control on the IC-7000 is already at 100% but
it required shouting to activate, even with full ALC-deflecting audio coming in
(no other combination of anti-vox or delay could make it better). Next year I'll
hopefully have a very sensitive foot switch for PTT in the kit and I'll see
about modding the radio's VOX circuitry, if possible.

As usual (at least from my P.O.V.), the money bands were 80 and 20 with very
long runs being sustained at all hours of the day. Propagation was good to the
west coast and we were able to pick up almost all the sections from that part
of the country--except BC, Nevada and PAC.

There's something to be said for operating field day in a central-air equipped
room with decent hardware connected to a nice array up-top, awesome barbecue
for supper and good company for the duration! Good warm-up for IARU in two
weeks as well.