[3830] ARRL FD W1ECH 1B QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD W1ECH 1B QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 02:59:45 -0700

  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------

Club:

Comments:

2010 FD was very enjoyable.  I used an all-band 80-meter half wave antenna, shot
up about 50 feet with my bow and arrow.  The 450-ohm ladder line came down to a
4:1 balun and then into the IC-746, cranked back to minimum, which yielded 5
watts.  I used a car battery and it never dropped below 12.5 volts or so.
N3FJP's computing software worked great.

Conditions seemed very up and down.  I started on 20 but found it hard going,
so I dropped to 40 and that was great.  Later, when I expected 20 to be
starting to die, I went back and it was terrific.  To my surprise, 15 was also
open to varying places, too, which meant jumping around working the loud
stations that would pop up and then fade, with new ones taking their places,
even at night!  I knocked off about midnight local time.  After a few hours of
sleep, I got up and found that 80/75 and 40 were working well early in the
morning.

Obviously, for score reasons I tried to focus on c.w., but SSB was good , too,
whenever I could manage to keep the rate up.  Hunt and pounce certainly was the
way to go, usually, but CQ's sometimes yielded results, too.  Thanks to all for
digging me out!

I have to say that the ever more complicated ARRL rules and entry procedures
are a far cry from "the old days"!

I may decide to go QRP in the SS this year, too!

73,

Gary - W1ECH