[3830] IARU W6YX(N6DE) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IARU W6YX(N6DE) M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 12:33:41 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): N6DE
Station: W6YX

Class: M/S HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 5

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:   45     62      7       3
   15:    3             3
   10:
-------------------------------------
Total:   48     62     10       3  Total Score = 6,708

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

The purpose of my participation was to chase the WRTC stations.  Except for 30
minutes of CQing, this was an S&P effort.

I had 70 QSOs with the WRTC stations: 45 on CW, and 25 on PH.  I missed R33Q,
R37P, and R39R.

20m propagation in our morning was worse than expected.  Only 1 WRTC station
was as strong as S1; the rest were S0.  Propagation in our evening was much
better than expected.  I arrived at the shack at 2Z, and signals were
surprisingly strong.  Later, signals dipped, only to come back strong again.
20m was still wide open at 7Z, but most of the WRTC stations were on 10m and
15m.  I took a break in our evening, and Risto W6RK ran with his callsign to
work some DX and give the WRTC stations some more QSOs.

I kept 4 pages of observations about the WRTC stations.  There were definitely
differences in signal strength!  The differences were the most important on
20PH in our evening, and on 20CW during our weak morning opening.  Even when
stations were the same on the S-meter, there are different shades of S0 which
make all the difference in the world between putting a QSO in the log or not.
Probably most of the signal differences were due to where the competitors had
their beam pointed at any given time.

I got a "big signal" report on Phone by one WRTC station who got me on the
first call.  Two minutes later, I found the next WRTC station, and it took
around 25 calls before he finally heard me.  This repeated itself 15 minutes
later.  Got a "nice signal" comment on the first call to a WRTC station, and
then I found a weaker WRTC station who never did hear me after many calls.

There were many incredible operators.  Awesome skill.  I kept track of their
callsigns and will be interested to see who the ops were behind these calls.

For some of the stations, it was obvious that they were dual-CQing.  There
would be long pauses between their transmissions.  When signals aren't strong,
this made me wonder if he really heard me, or if he was working someone else
instead of me, or if the pause was just because he was waiting for his teammate
to finish transmitting on the other radio before he could reply to me.
Sometimes it resulted in doubled transmissions or people sending their calls
multiple times, which reduced the order of the frequency.

Great job by all the WRTC operators and the organizers.

73...
-Dean - N6DE