[3830] IARU K8CN SO CW QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, mike.carter@unh.edu
Subject: [3830] IARU K8CN SO CW QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 15:33:17 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: K8CN
Operator(s): K8CN
Station: K8CN

Class: SO CW QRP
QTH: NH
Operating Time (hrs): ~ 17

  160:
   80:
   40:  134            15      16
   20:  239            15      22
   15:   78             9       6
   10:   14             2       1
-------------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

Rig: K2 Ant: Lazy-H, cut for 20M

I had a brief entry in last year's IARU HF Championship, so brief that I forgot
I had participated at all until I found my log on Friday night -- not much upon
which to build any expectations for this year's event.

This felt like two different contests in one day for me -- Saturday daytime
(local, of course) was a slog with fewer DX calls netted than I had wished, and
then Saturday night saw a nice opening to Eastern Europe and Asiatic Russia on
20M.  Remarkably, I was able to hold a run frequency on 40M near the middle of
the CW segment for more than an hour during prime time!  The run rate was less
than spectacular (about 50 Qs/hour at best), but it was a novelty for this QRP
contester accustomed to S&P. Sunday morning gray line propagation did not
disappoint, which helped the otherwise paltry zone total.

In addition to my normal thanks to all who handle QRP contacts with genuine
effort, respect, and extreme competence, I'll single out one op for special
mention: ZL2JU really kept digging until he had my info correct -- you gave me
a big psychic boost when I needed it, so many thanks!

Speaking of special ops, I'm in awe of the WRTC teams!  I wondered why their
signals were so weak here until I read some of their event web pages after the
contest ended.  Knowing what they sounded like on 20M Saturday night with 100
watts and a decent tribander, I marveled at the ease with which they copied my
QRP signal, often on first attempt -- they are truly gifted CW ops.

Improvements for next year: figure out how to work more zones/HQ mults and get
enough sleep the week before to enable me to work the entire contest.  Oh yes,
there is always a need for more, better antennas - my antenna "farm" has been a
monoculture crop for too long.

Cheers!
Mike, K8CN
Durham NH