[3830] IARU KH6LC M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N6DA@COMCAST.NET
Subject: [3830] IARU KH6LC M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 23:29:49 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: KH6LC
Operator(s): N6DA  WT6K
Station: KH6LC

Class: M/S HP
QTH: HAWAII
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:    0       0     0       0
   80:   32       0     6       2
   40:  364      19    27      11
   20:  489    1067    38      20
   15:   54      17     7       3
   10:    0       0     0       0
-------------------------------------
Total:  939    1103    78      36  Total Score = 1,139,316

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

First, many thanks to Lloyd, KH6LC, for letting Al (WT6K) and me (N6DA) play
with his very FB station.  Also, thanks to Curt (AH6RE) for getting N1MM to
cooperate and Roby (NH6V)for getting coaxes going to the correct antennas and
station operation info.

0200 local is an ugly time to start a contest!  First thing that happened was I
put my bowl of contest munchie nuts at the operating position and went to get a
full mug of coffee.  When I returned, Al advised me he had observed one of
Lloyd's two bassets (Ricky)licking nuts out of my munchie bowl.  Eeeewww...dog
spit.

Spent only 3 hours on 40 and 80, then went to 20 when it opened to W and Eu a
little before sunrise.  Ran stations until it looked like 15 might be open, but
could only justify a short time there as our rate took a huge dive.  10 was
non-existant.

We decided, since mults on those bands would be very low, that we would screw
the multipliers and just have fun working a bunch of stations.  So, we ran
stations on 20 (maybe 18 hours straight) until the last two hours of the
contest.  20 was great. In the evening, it sounded like it was closing up to Eu
about 8:30 local, but then exploded with Eu's pounding the S-meter.  I turned
the beam on Asia and ran familiar JA's just to take a break from the
overwhelming Eu pileup.  Finally, we went to 40 for an hour or so with a big
pileup, then to 80 for the last half hour, but only a few takers.

Around 2400Z I also noticed N1MM was not taking zone changes on SSB.  We
thought it was just us. Who knows what cr*p went in the log prior to then. I
think it worked alright on CW.  We did a work-around by entering the Q, then
doing a Quick Edit and changing the zone, which N1MM took okay from that
window.

Oh, yes.  Mid-day, Al took a shift (we took around 2-3 hour shifts, eating or
napping to stay fresh during the off time)and I went to the kitchen to grab a
bite.  There was the empty cookie bag on the floor that Ricky had nabbed from
the kitchen counter and had polished off the last ten big contest cookies.
Damn dog, damn dog!  He's a basset!  He must have used a step-ladder to get up
there!

We didn't have a score that will win anything (winning wasn't our goal.)
We did have a blast (which was our goal) just enjoying (?) the pileups and
working a bunch of stations.  Good times.

Aloha,

Don and Al