[3830] NAQP RTTY W5KFT(K5PI) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, rb@austin.rr.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP RTTY W5KFT(K5PI) Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 08:29:03 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, RTTY - July

Call: W5KFT
Operator(s): K5PI
Station: W5KFT

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 5

   80:
   40:    9     9
   20:  250    47
   15:  104    31
   10:   12     8
-------------------
Total:  375    95  Total Score = 35,625

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Team: SWACC #1

Comments:

I don't do a lot of RTTY and I scrambled to get my computer set up.  I ended up
starting 15 minutes late.  Then my TS-850 would only send a carrier.  Fixed the
FSK interface (bad transistor), but then the combination of MMTTY+N1MM+Win98
started crashing about every third QSO.  It seems clear that I need more
computer horsepower (1.6 GHZ, 256 MB) and an officially supported OS (e.g.,
XP).  :-)  My K3 was running pretty hot, so I had to keep the power down to
about 65 watts, even with maximum fan.  Apologies to my SWACC teammates but
after a few hours, I threw in the towel.

I made eight or ten trips to 10M and would work a couple of pretty loud guys,
but couldn't get a run going.

The best part was watching the Tampa Bay Rays beat up on the Yankees.   :-)