[3830] CQWW VHF W1NN SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hal@japancorporateresearch.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF W1NN SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 05:11:10 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: W1NN
Operator(s): W1NN
Station: W1NN

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: EN91
Operating Time (hrs): 5

    6:  38     19
    2:  23      9
-------------------
Total:  61     28  Total Score = 2,352

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I don't have any VHF antennas permanently installed so for this contest I put up
a dipole at 40' for 6 Meters and an 8 element yagi at 25' for 2 Meters.  The 2
Meter antenna is set up on a mast right next to my shack window so I can rotate
it by hand.  I could work almost anything that I could hear.  I will probably
take these down today until the next contest.

20 of my 38 6 meter contacts were on CW.  Never heard any CW on 2 and I'm not
sure where to look.  Caught an opening to VE1 and W0 on Saturday but there were
only a handful of stations to work and sometimes I had call 5-10 times to get
through, but I usually was able to be heard.  Caught 2-3 stations from 5-land
and one C6 station (my first non VE DX on 6!) but that's about it.

I checked the bands every hour or two throughout contest (except for late night
hours) and usually there were just one or two new stations to work.  K8WW
deserves the persistence award.  Nearly every time I turned on the rig he was
calling CQ on 6 Meters CW.

It must be a lot of fun when the band is wide open during one of these
contests, but based on what I read, the odds of this happening are not high.

73, Hal W1NN