[3830] CQWW VHF K9GY/R Rover QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k9gy@sbcglobal.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF K9GY/R Rover QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 07:57:09 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: K9GY/R
Operator(s): K9GY
Station: K9GY

Class: Rover QRP
QTH: Rover
Operating Time (hrs): 8

    6:   71    37
    2:   30    19
-------------------
Total:  101    56  Total Score = 4,938

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

I was able to combine a drive from EN61 to FM17 with this contest. As mentioned
already conditions on Saturday were crummy and Sunday was better.

First stop was EN90QW about 2 miles from OH/PA border on I-76. Only 9 QSOs.
Next was FN00CM east of Pittsburgh, PA on PA turnpike (too hilly). One QSO.
Stopped near Breezewood, PA FM09UX for two QSOs. Finally arriving to Skyline
Drive in Shenandoah N.P. about 10pm EDST. Made 13 QSOs from FM08VU at approx
2,000 feet elevation. Slept overnight in the car.

Decided to move to higher ground...Went to FM08TO which is approx 3,550 feet.
Made the bulk of QSOs from here. About 72 QSOs. Best DX was C6ANX in FL15 and
VY2SS in FN76.

About 12:30pm EDST I decided to move to a western facing overlook to catch some
stations out west. Moved to FM08SM at approx 3,480 feet and caught K2DRH (EN41)
and K0SIX (EN35) so it was worth the extra mults.

Drove down the mountain to Louisa, VA (FM18AA) for three more QSOs but by that
time the bands were crummy and the outside temps were near 100 F. Also the
location was very noisy. It was already 3:30pm EDST so decided that was enough
and finished the drive to Hampton, VA without any more operating.

In all I operated from five grids. Problem with rovering is you might be
driving when the bands open up...argh! My rover is a stop and setup situation.
Takes about 15-20 minutes to setup for 6 and 2 meters.

I really liked visiting my old operating spot on Skyline Drive in SNP. Being
QRP at that elevation is a lot of fun!

FT-817, 4L Arrow 2m beam, 6m dipole (two hamsticks), surplus military poles.

73, Eric K9GY/4