[3830] NAQP CW KE3X Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW KE3X Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2010 05:44:32 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: KE3X
Operator(s): KE3X
Station: KE3X

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Washington, DC
Operating Time (hrs): 8.0

  160:    0     0
   80:  105    27
   40:  109    32
   20:  101    29
   15:   39    19
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  354   107  Total Score = 40,002

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team: PVRC 1

Comments:

Last time I entered this contest was from Mexico City in 1992 using XE1/NV1P.
Clearly been away too long - that was LOTS of fun!   NAQP is just long enough
to feel like a 'real' contest, has the 2-hour off time to ferry kids or the XYL
from weekend activities, and you don't have to stay up much past midnight.
Once I hit 40,000 points at 11:45PM I pulled the plug.

Highlights were:

- Working all the NCCC Thursday Sprint folks:  those exchanges were always the
fastest, and my callsign is starting to be recognized the first time.
- Having a nice run for an hour on 80-Meters using a dipole up 30 feet at 9PM
local time - even worked 4 guys in a single minute once.   Last time I did that
was using MorseRunner
- Being part of a team (PVRC 1) again for the first time in 19 years.   Last
team was the 'MUF Divers' in the 1991 Sprint.   I had forgotten about the added
motivation 'kick' that comes from team participation
- Nice to see the DX participation (ZF2DO, XE2MX, HK1R, EC5CR)

However, this contest showed much work still to be done here:

1.   Need an antenna for 160-Meters.   Probably heard 30 stations all S-9 but
no QSO's.  Loading the 80-M dipole just does not cut it.  Time to build the
'Spud Gun' with my son K3ODY and lob a wire over the 80-foot willow oak tree in
the backyard, and put up the Inverted-L.   Lost 15 easy multipliers that way.

2.   Need to make the N1MM interface work.  All 8-hours of CQ'ing and S&P were
sent by hand using my N3ZN dual level paddle (imagine no 'F1' key at all -
YIKES!)   No wonder I can barely hold the coffee cup this morning.   Great
transmitting practice for HST 2011 but it got really old after the 6th hour.

3.   Integrate the new DX Doubler that arrived last week.
4.   Sell the second IC-735 and upgrade to a better first radio.
5.   Set up the Cushcraft R-7 vertical somewhere that does not need a permit.

Thanks for all the QSO's and see you in the NCJ Sprints!

Ken KE3X

50x200 city lot
Icom-735 at 80 watts
N1MM Logger
Wires for 40 and 80 at 35 feet
Transworld TW-2010 vertical dipole at 35 feet