[3830] WAE CW K7IA Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k7iaham@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] WAE CW K7IA Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 21:35:18 -0700
                    WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: K7IA
Operator(s): K7IA
Station: K7IA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: SW New Mexico
Operating Time (hrs): 6:30

   80:
   40:    8     0    21
   20:  132   139    60
   15:
   10:
-------------------------
Total:  140   139    81  Total Score = 22,599

Club:

Comments:

My second WAE CW.  Last year seemed busier, and more bands were usably open.  I
operated S&P all weekend until Sunday afternoon, after I exhausted all of the
strong EU stations on 20 meters.  The only way to shake more Qs from the
woodwork was to Run.  A number of QRP stations must have gotten into my
log--their sigs were weak even at the zeniths of QSB.  Low power stations were
better copy, but the QSB was fairly deep (and fortunately of short duration).
Many thanks to those who struggled with me to get correct serial numbers into
the log.

20m was noisy on Friday night and Saturday AM.  It improved on Sat afternoon,
and was good on Sunday.  40m was very noisy, so I spent only a few minutes on
it Fri night and didn't bother with it on Sat night.

There was considerable gentlemanly behavior across the board in this event!

>From the looks of North American scores already reported on 3830, there's a
steep QSO gradient as one moves from the west coast, through the midwest, and
to the east coast.  Even with apparently good sunspot parameters seen over the
weekend, this event surely doesn't favor NA west coast ops.  Thanks to EU ops
who wanted to copy numerals 6 and 7 every now and then!

The QTC exchanges are always fun (non-EU ops don't get to do much!), and even
sharing QTCs with weaker signals was successful with far fewer repeats than
last year.  Happily, I unloaded all of them this year.

Many thanks to DARC for this most interesting event!

73, dan, k7ia