[3830] NAQP SSB W5KFT M/2 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, rb@austin.rr.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB W5KFT M/2 LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 08:24:17 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: W5KFT
Operator(s): K5PI, K5OT, K5TR
Station: W5KFT

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:   10     6
   80:   97    35
   40:  484    58
   20: 1090    59
   15:   63    14
   10:    2     1
-------------------
Total: 1808   173  Total Score = 302,058

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

Conditions were strange -- and pretty poor overall.  Almost all of our 15M QSOs
were west of the Mississippi.  An hour and a half into the contest, 15 was
getting thin, so we hit 40.  We checked back, but 15 never really opened up
again.  Then, 40M took a looooooong time to really open up.  The sun was
completely down here before we got some reasonable rate.  80 was noisy and
pretty much a slog. I kept dialing across 160 and hearing nothing but noise,
but finally went there in the last hour and managed a few mults.  Gotta get
those beverages fixed!

Thanks to K5TR for dropping by for a few hours to give Larry and me a break.  I
believe he operated about three hours total.  The minute I sat down after him, I
could tell how much less efficient I was.  :-)

Larry and I operate CW the great majority of the time, and we both realized how
many skills we take for granted on code that have to be developed separately for
phone -- knowing the best part of each band, knowing when a frequency is clear
enough vs. when to find another, optimizing CQ speed and length, etc., etc.,
etc.

Congrats to the guys at NX5M and W5WMU!

Robert K5PI