[3830] SCC RTTY VA7ST SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SCC RTTY VA7ST SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 05:22:16 -0700
                    SCC RTTY Championship

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 13.5

   80:   22   41    18
   40:   99  204    46
   20:  123  272    53
   15:    2    5     2
   10:
------------------------
Total:  246  522   119  Total Score = 62,118

Club: British Columbia DX Club

Comments:

2010: SFI=72, A=14>8, K=1
2009: SFI=68, A=3, K=2
2008: SFI=67, A=3, K=1
2007: SFI=72, A=1>10, K=1>3

FT-2000
N1MM Logger + MMTTY
3 element SteppIR at 27'
40M dipole on yagi
40M twin half-square array (aiming N-S)
80M twin vertical array (aiming E-W)

Terrible solar/propagation conditions for the FOURTH consecutive year. As I
said last year, "Something's gotta give."

Ran low power to see how I would fare against my previous low-power outings,
most recently 2007. A huge improvement since then, almost catching previous
high-power attempts -- and actually tying my best-ever mult count.

80M didn't offer much, but I did tie my previous high-power best with 22 Qs and
18 mults. Wish more ops would hit that band longer -- this time of year it
doesn't really open fully to the east until 0600z from here, and by then it's
usually a wasteland.

40M was quite strong for NA but weak to JA, with just a few worked (with
difficulty) on Sunday morning at the end. Managed my best-ever on 40M, and
without the amp on. Very happy there. New half-square array landed a couple of
EUs but the polar path was barely open.

20M was not strong -- European stations were tough work, and I was not happy at
all with that band's performance. Qs were down from expectations though the 53
mults were about what I expected on 20M. Some rather deep QSB at times, so the
band was not in good shape at all.

Worked two stations on 15M but the band was essentially dead here. In
retrospect, I should have hunted harder there as the mults do rack up even with
sparse activity.

Had much fun and hope to see everyone again next year. Thanks SCC for the
contest!

-- Bud VA7ST

SCC RTTY     Qs  Mults  Score (claimed)
August-10   246  119    62,118