[3830] OhQP N8Q(N8XX) Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8xx@arrl.org
Subject: [3830] OhQP N8Q(N8XX) Single Op QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 11:40:05 -0700
                    Ohio QSO Party

Call: N8Q
Operator(s): N8XX
Station: N8Q

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: HENRy Co
Operating Time (hrs): 9

   80:   78     86
   40:   23     11
   20:   13      1
   15:    0      0
   10:    0      0
--------------------
Total:  114     98  CW Mults = 65  Ph Mults = 60  Total Score = 40,750

Club:

Comments:

Great location for QRP operation.  McClure Village park has a ball field
surrounded by 60'+ high light poles, underground wiring to the bottom of each
pole, so no danger of electrocution from overhead wires, and a strategically
located tree a bit over 110' from a light pole, so feeders from a dipole is
almost exactly above the picnic shelter.

Conditions seemed "so-so" for 20 and 40 metres - didn't even try 15 or 10.

Attempted to use a "new" Heath QRP Tuner, but it didn't seem to find a match on
40 or 80 metres, so put a LDG Z-11 which I borrowed from KA5S for the event.
Wow!  After I figured out that I had accidentally put it into manual tune mode,
it was one "key down" on a frequency (actually with the antenna I used it was
one "key down" on each band even between CW and SSB, and a click or two from
the auto tuner and SWR <= 1.5!

As with the recent Michigan QSO Party, I was delightedly surprized at the
ability of QRP to work 75 SSB - Don't know if others were spotting me, but
sometimes, especially on phone, there'd be a run of 10, 15, or more stations
trying to contact me.  It certainly didn't hurt that I was in HENRy county, and
an antenna up <60' didn't hurt either.

Thanks to Darl, NA8W, and his daughter Jerae, for getting me in contact with
the mayor of McClure.   Thanks also to Dean Dawson, Mayor of McClure for
permission and hospitality during the weekend.  And, last but not least, thanks
to the OQP leadership for putting on an excellent event.

72/73 de n8xx Hg