[3830] NCCC Sprint K3TN LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NCCC Sprint K3TN LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 02:48:12 -0700
                    NCCC Sprint Ladder - Sep 3

Call: K3TN
Operator(s): K3TN
Station: K3TN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): .5

  160:
   80:  15     14
   40:  14     11
   20:  11      9
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  40     34  Total Score = 1,360

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Today I will use an excuse from the SO2R Wannabe Column:

Decided to try SO2V operation with the K3 sub receiver on and F9 programmed
with a macro to swap VFOs. I'm still basically a single antenna, manual antenna
switching station, so real SO2R isn't in the cards yet - this was my first time
doing a contest with different signals in each ear. It probably hurt my QSO
total - amazing how many stations I heard but did not work - but it was very
good practice.

I liked the ability to monitor a freq where I lost a jump ball while
simultaneously tuning away from that frequency to find a CQ freq or answer a
CQ. But that one extra step (hitting F9) sorta broke my brain/hand
coordination. It was like trying to play racquetball if the racket wasn't
always in my right hand. Not a big deal when the QSO went routinely, but on
just about every fill request I either mistakenly swapped  VFOs (and sent the
fill on some other freq) or I was too busy trying *not* swap VFOs that I missed
what the actual fill request was for. BONK - the ball hit me squarely in the
forehead.

Beyond the SO2V QLFing, great night for multipliers - all but one 80M Q was a
new mult. I may have actually given up on 20 a bit too early, the left coasters
were LOUD and my rate was about the same there as on 40. WD0T was unbelievably
loud everywhere - after I worked him once on a band I could easily identify him
as a dupe just by the S meter.

Checking the weather reports on Hurricane Earl this am, looks like all the NS
RF pushed Earl a bit further out to see and knocked him down a few db on the
hurricane S meter. Now, if we could just harness all that RF to aim at the next
oil well leak...