[3830] NA Sprint CW K6UFO(@W6YX) QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k6ufo@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW K6UFO(@W6YX) QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 10:00:04 -0700
                    NA Sprint CW Contest - September

Call: K6UFO
Operator(s): K6UFO
Station: W6YX

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 4

   80:   38
   40:   91
   20:   91
---------------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: Northern Calif Contest Club #2

Comments:

Thanks to the Thursday night NCCC Sprint practices,
I was feeling ready for CW Sprint.  My previous
high for QRP was 137 QSOs - and I blew that away
with 220!  Thank you for the NCCC Sprint practice!

20m was loud, crowd and fast! I had a couple QSOs
I was unsure of, and resolved them later by me
calling one and getting a "B4", and having one
call me. I stayed 20m almost 2 hours, because QRP
gets progressively harder on the low bands, and
the Mults were good, but I should have moved
sooner since the 40m rate jumped so much.

One of the station club members came in and did
the "standard operating procedure": open door,
go to back of rack and flip the power switch,
come around and start computers. Only this time,
he came in, flipped the switch, and dumped my
power OFF to the radio, computer, etc. Lost 4
minutes and the rhythm while getting restarted.

40m picked up the pace, and I stayed 1.5 hrs,
leaving just 30 minutes for 80m QRP.  40m was
surprisingly good, lots of contacts made, but lots
of unanswered CQs and lost pileups - not too
unusual when QRP against the high power and
stations east of me. I feared trouble when
I worked KA9FOX and he was 7 QSOs ahead. Lots of
other good QRP signals too, from KE0G and KR2Q.

80m QRP arrived - ouch - with the usual lost
pileups.  Luckily, there were lots of West Coast
to work, which kept me busy. I did manage to
work VE3EJ for some 80m QRP DX!  Thanks to VA7RR
for the BC Mult!

So, I'm totally happy with my improvement, but I
need to move 20m to 40m sooner, and get SO2R
going to allow those unanswered CQs to be
elsewhere.

Thanks for the fun!

K6UFO Mork CA

W6YX:
20m: 6 el yagi at 60 ft
40m: 4 el at 60 ft
80m: inverted vee at 50 ft
Yaesu FT-1000MP turned down to 5 watts
Writelog

QSO by hour and band.
          80M     40M     20M    Total   Cumm
0000Z    ---+-   ---+-     58       58     58
0100Z       -       5      33       38     96
0200Z       -      64       -       64    160
0300Z      38      22       -       60    220
Total:     38      91      91