[3830] NA Sprint CW W1NN(@K8AZ) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hal@japancorporateresearch.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW W1NN(@K8AZ) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 17:50:37 -0700
                    NA Sprint CW Contest - September

Call: W1NN
Operator(s): W1NN
Station: K8AZ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 4

   80:   99
   40:   96
   20:   98
---------------------

Club: North Coast Contesters

Team: MRRC/NCC Sprinters

Comments:

Many thanks to Tom, K8AZ for inviting me to operate from his fabulous station in
Cleveland's eastern suburbs.  Tom has a station that most of us only dream
about.  He went to considerable trouble to set things up to my liking and was
the perfect host, providing dinner and all the support I could ask for.

For a change, absolutely nothing went wrong.  Nothing broke, there was no
noticeable QRN, no software problems (it was my first Sprint using Win-Test but
it went well), and conditions were quite good.  The only problems were
operator-related:  not being good enough to take advantage of the various
antennas Tom has available and generally not being able to squeeze everything
out of the station.  After a reasonable first 15 minutes, I found the pace on
20 slowed sharply, with the West Coast and Texas being very loud and most
everything else pretty weak, and I ended up with only 71 contacts at the end of
the first hour, well off of my goal.  Things picked up dramatically and the rate
for the next 2.5 hours was around 80 and I made up for some of my lost time but
things slowed down again during the last half hour when I could only find 24
new stations to work.  I had a lot of 2- and 3-banders but my impression is
that overall participation was a little off.

As always, a very fun four hours.  Thanks again to Tom for opening his home to
me, to the participants for the contacts and to the sponsors for all the work
they do to put this on.

73,  Hal W1NN