[3830] SAC CW OH4A(OH6KZP) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kim.ostman@tut.fi
Subject: [3830] SAC CW OH4A(OH6KZP) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 11:34:10 -0700
                    Scandinavian Activity Contest, CW

Call: OH4A
Operator(s): OH6KZP
Station: OH4A

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Kisko
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

   80:  419    46
   40:  660    58
   20:  832    67
   15:  408    64
   10:   65    23
-------------------
Total: 2384   258  Total Score = 1,441,188

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

Very nice activity, and the propagation wasn't bad either. Especially 20 and 15
were alive, although they closed quite early. The wee hours 01z-04z tend to be
very slow in SAC, but this year I managed to keep the rate over 60 during all
but one of those hours. Perhaps the absence of aurora helped! The station
worked well apart from a split-second power outage around 1310z that booted the
logging computer.

On the flip-side, this contest featured the earphone catastrophy. Quite some
time ago I did some first aid on a noise-cancelling headset after the wiring
had gone bad, and the new soldered replacement cable and the attendant
connectors have worked ok (well, minor glitches..). This weekend, however, the
wire for the left ear broke loose from the nc-electronics a few hours into the
contest; luckily I managed to pin it under another wire and connect it "in the
air." The open-case nc-electronics got affected more than usual by the RF, too,
so at times I was having problems simply to hear, even needing to sit in a
certain way to have it work ok... Nothing like that kind of stuff to make one
angry in the midst of the battle. In the end, a lot of mental energy reserved
for operating was wasted throughout the contest on this. Lesson => do your
homework and also have a spare set of earphones.

Thanks to Jukka OH6LI and Merja for letting me use their cottage and the
station. And thanks to all non-Scandinavians who participated, it is you who
make this contest so interesting to us Scandinavians. Hopefully we remember to
reciprocate in other national/regional contests.

I hope Finland will emerge victorious from this year's Scandinavian Cup after
all the logs are in. CU on SSB!