[3830] CQ WW RTTY KI7MT SOSB/20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ki7mt@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY KI7MT SOSB/20 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 00:16:02 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: KI7MT
Operator(s): KI7MT
Station: KI7MT

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: Helena, MT
Operating Time (hrs): 24

   80:
   40:
   20:  929  1577      55      70    26
   15:
   10:
Total:  929  1477      55      70    26  Total Score = 238,127

Club:

Comments:

Part Time Effort: About 28hrs

Goal: 1000 Q's and 100+ DXCC, didn't make either :-(

First, thanks to CQ for sponsoring the event and all the hard work Ed, W0YK
puts into managing it. It's been a long time since I've heard this level
activity on 20M's and from what I've been reading, it looks like the upper
bands provided a good time for allot of folks.

Runs > 100 Q's
2010-09-25 0000 - 0302Z,   14085 kHz, 255 Qs, 84.0/hr
2010-09-25 2325 - 0207Z,   14086 kHz, 120 Qs, 44.6/hr
2010-09-26 2057Z - 23:58,  14085 kHz, 120 Qs, 39.9/hr
Lots of 40+ runs.

Max Rates:
2010-09-25 0013Z - 3.0 per minute  (1 minute(s)), 180/hr
2010-09-25 0024Z - 1.8 per minute  (10 minute(s)), 108/hr
2010-09-25 0109Z - 1.5 per minute  (60 minute(s)), 92/hr

I used one antenna, a little 20M vertical and ~ 500W or so. I'm surprised I
made it through the noise levels, which was intense both Saturday and Sunday.
In all the time I've been licensed, I cannot remember ever seeing a solid wall
of RTTY from 14.060 through 14.150, it was absolutely chaotic on Saturday, but
it was allot of fun too :-)

Hats off to all you SO2R operators, as it was all I could do to manage one rig
at the start of the contest, let alone think about running two rigs.

I had a stupid number of computer / logger issues. Had many reboots and allot
of fouled up exchanges. It seems the system had a mind of it's own at times.
Even though I'd tested things pretty well for a couple weeks prior to the test,
come race day, the problems mounted. The rest of the station worked flawlessly.

I also caused a bit of QRM to folks, for that I do apologize, but my noise
level ( well not noise, just an incredible number of operating stations ) was
intense. One moment, there's nobody there, or at at least I didn't think there
was, then bang, s9+ signals, it pure madness at times. I didn't mean to cause
any issues, and it certainly wasn't intended nor personal :-)

I lost allot of Q's on Saturday do my computer issues. That coupled with solid
RTTY from one end of the band to the other, made it hard to to find a spot to
RUN from, so I was relegated to S&P. Such is life in the mini-station world
:-)

Lots of new calls which was nice too see, but dupes was kinda crazy. I worked
one station 10 times over the course of the test. I found it easier & faster to
just work them, instead of the ole B4 thing.

All in all, was a great contest, and I think a good time was had by most. I'm
not much of an SSB contester, but I hope the conditions hold up or improve for
that test, and will definately be in the CQWW CW event.

Tnx to all the DX that participated, and those that pulled out my peanut
whistle signal.

Contacts uploaded to LoTW & eQSL for those interested.

Rig-1: FT-1000MP
SW: N1MM, MMTTY, FSK
Interface: US Interface, Navigator
Antenna: Homebrew 20M Vertical