[3830] NA Sprint RTTY N6ML(@K6LRG) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint RTTY N6ML(@K6LRG) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 10:40:46 -0700
                    NA Sprint RTTY Contest - October

Call: N6ML
Operator(s): N6ML
Station: K6LRG

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Livermore, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 4
Radios: SO2R

   80:   43       2
   40:   81       4
   20:   50       2
---------------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC #1

Comments:

An experiment to see if the evolving K6LRG station could handle SO2R (first ever
from there). We've recently added a new-to-us HyGain 204BA for 20m, and
"permanently" installed the 2L Cushcraft shorty-40. 80m on an inverted-L. 2
K3's, Alpha 86, Ameritron AL-800H. Isolation only with bandpass-filters so-far
(no stub-notches). Nice to only have 3 bands to worry about in this one - we
have some more work to do for full 6-band SO2R.

Used N1MM Logger with 2 x MMTTY 1.68A instances for each radio - one using the
new FFT demodulator. Occasionally one would decode better than the other.
Unfortunately N1MM Logger got a bit confused with colour-coding already-worked
callsigns (one RX window would show them as already worked, the other as
workable).

The station seemed to play very well... jury's out on the operator ;) I haven't
done a sprint in a while, and didn't get to do the practice session. Started
setting up a couple of hours before the start, after working with N6WM to dig
the hole and make the form for the new 10m tower base (concrete now curing!)
The format almost felt comfortable, which is a bit scary! Could be fun if there
was more activity - spent more time CQing (mostly to the wind!) than working
"tuples". Kinda fun to get called by EY7AD (off the side of the beam!) on 20m,
when everyone else had abandoned the band ;) Will be interesting to see the
log-check report for this one - my last one was "less than stellar".

Thanks to those who showed up, and to the K6LRG crew for the venue!