[3830] TBDC VA7ST Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC VA7ST Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 17:39:12 -0700
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Warmup

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 1

Total:  QSOs = 16  Total Score = 79

Club:

Comments:

Chores done, as twilight fell Saturday evening I attached the tail-end of the
long-unused 135' Inverted-L to an SO-239 strapped to a 4-foot rod in the
ground. Then wired that to about 150' of chainlink fence beside the rod.

Antenna is 85' of "vertical" sloping up to about 65' high, and the rest sloping
down to about 45' at the far end. No actual radials. SWR about 1.6:1 at the
bottom of the band, over 2:1 at 1.830. Rig's tuner allowed 100W out across the
span.

Didn't work great but it worked a few :) Managed 3 Qs around 0600z (11 p.m.
Pacific), and the rest at 1230z (5:30 a.m.)

Best DX: KH6LC worth 16 points. One EN, worth 10 points here. Heard a couple of
JAs but just above the noise. Doubt they would have heard me -- even close-in
Stateside ops had a hard time hearing me with such an inefficient radiator.

E-W Beverage helped knock down what seemed like pretty strong band noise, but
it is more effective on 80M than 160M.