[3830] CQWW SSB VE9AA SOSB/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB VE9AA SOSB/40 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 11:08:12 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: NB-Zone 5
Operating Time (hrs): 21:10

  160:
   80:
   40:  537    28       86
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

MCC Team #2 "Time Bandits"...(we all were pressed for time,thus the name)
Mid contest report de VE9AA on 40m:
Day #1
Well guys, I suffered through last night til I couldn't keep my eyes open any
longer (3:30am) and made XX # of QSO's. . . .so very low I am actually
embarrased to say how many. I guess there's a reason I really really REALLY
don't like 40m SSB....ouch! I did snag a few nice ones...ZS9X, 6W1RY, all the
PJ's, but barely any EU in my log at all....they were all either in the noise
or
not able to hear me whatsoever.

Only worked a dozen or so USA...guys like K3LR, W3BGN, W3LPL, NQ4I etc.

Heard VE8EV (Zone 1) and VE2IM (Zone 2) a few times calling Carib or Eastern
EU,
but never heard them CQing. My trick of moving up a few and calling CQ did not
pan out... They sure weren't loud (5/1-5/2)

Couldn't get A73A. . . loud, but I am sure the EU pileup was massive over
there.

99% S & P and I am here to tell ya, it ain't easy to compete against the
humoungous signals coming out of EU. . .even against the Caribbean DXpeditions
it's hard to get through on HP.

Overslept so missed greyline, but probably only lost a dozen Q's....I am just
in
this to play, not win, so not a biggie. There is no way I can touch the 546k
set by VE3BMV back in the 80's....I'll be lucky to get a fraction of that at
the
rate I am going.

So, F-FWD to noontime Sat...I just spent 45 minutes converting my 10m delta
loop
into a 40m ground plane, the base of which is ~6' AGL with 4 sloping radials
about 3' AGL. A little tweaking and it was good to go. I should (hopefully)
see a few dB of gain over my OCF 266' dipole @ a mean height of 30' AGL...it's
real cloudburner on the low bands and the SWR ain't-great once you get above
14.1MHz. .

We'll see what tonight brings....more migraines and the deafening roar of 40m
bliss....

Why didn't I hide the microphone? Someone should've stopped me.

Day#2...
OK, signals were actually propagating past the end of my wires, and although
not loud by any means, I was actually able to get stations outside my
neighbourhood to respond !  My first QSO on days #2 was a 4L station who I
worked when the sun was still high in the sky.

Worked nearly everything I could hear with a few exceptions,(4S7AB, DU9RG) but
unable to get any kind of run going whatsoever.

Thrilled to have a ZD9 call me !

VY2ZM (K1ZM), Jeff was on 7055 with streams of EU calling him but they just
could not be coerced off his QRG to mine...heh heh.

Still missed VE8EV (zone 1), even though I finally found him calling CQ on
7198, but every man and his dog were working him easily except me. RATS!
Surprised to get JT5DX and some JA's again with the sun in the sky.

ZM4T had a huge signal for a couple hours, actually over S9 for parts of it.
At times he was just calling CQ CQ CQ, so not sure if I had a spotlight there
or what.  Initially thought it was a Brazilian station he was so loud.

In the end, day#1 was nearly a wash, but day#2 was much better, given my time
constraints due to obligations.

Next time I suggest 40m SSB, someone stop me.  This was downright painful !

Next time it'll be a higher band on CW....ahhhh, bliss :-)

Mike VE9AA, eh?