[3830] CQWW SSB K4ZW(@NR4M) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB K4ZW(@NR4M) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 04:00:09 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K4ZW
Operator(s): K4ZW
Station: NR4M

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 46

  160:   67    14       38
   80:  254    23       69
   40:  577    29       94
   20:  887    37      108
   15: 1147    31      104
   10:   84    17       37
------------------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Appreciate the opportunity to once again pilot the Goat Farm for WW SSB.  A few
new antennas were added to the arsenal since last year.  Looks like we finished
the 10 meter tower just in time.  It consists of a 3 stack of Hy-Gain 105's
fixed on Europe and another at the top (120') that is rotatable.  We also added
a 4 element 80 meter quad with the apex around 170'.  It is designed for the CW
band.  The driven element is fed through a tuning unit so we reset that for
SSB.  But as expected and as modeling shows, it wasn't very useful in the phone
band.

Things were going very well heading into Sunday morning.  The station was
playing well and things were really clicking.  But I made a couple of blunders
that were costly.  I wanted to get established early on 15 to take advantage of
what looked like another good opening.  I left 20 a little too soon, with a very
nice rate, and struggled while waiting for 15 to fully open.  In hindsight I
should have rode 20 for a bit longer.  Then throughout the morning I struggled
to get good rates going on 15, trying a couple of times to find a new
frequency, but it was wall to wall, difficult to pick out the second tier
stations left at that point. I could feel a good effort slipping away.
Although 10 was not as good as it was earlier in the week, it was still fun to
see it start to wake up during a contest weekend.