[3830] CQWW SSB K0TV M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k0tv@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB K0TV M/2 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 07:33:00 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K0TV
Operator(s): KB1TBU, K1BG, K1EP, K2TE, N1ICE, N1IW, W1END, WB1ADR, WO1N, K0TV
Station: K0TV

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: New Hampshire
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   44     8       18
   80:  251    24       85
   40:  284    29       94
   20:  962    36      123
   15:  718    29      118
   10:  171    17       41
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

The first major for the season is in the books.

We got a bit of Murphy and a bit of Serendipity.

We had several Murphies for this contest. First, two of the rotor indicators
malfunctioned and we couldn't get them fixed before the contest. Second, we had
a crashing computer that would crash at random and the logging program would
hang randomly. Third several of the beverages had damage that couldn't be
repaired before the contest. Fourth, one of my operators got stuck on the West
Coast due to weather and the single engine plane he was flying. As a CFII
myself, I applaud him for his decision to wait for weather rather than succumb
to "get-home-itis" and end up colliding with a cumulo-granite cloud. There were
a few others that I might remember when I have a chance to decompress.

Now the Serendipities, KB1TBU volunteered to help out getting the station ready
for the contest and he put in a number of hours of work here during the week
before the contest. Thanks Scott! WB1ADR volunteered to step in for K1HI (the
aforementioned stuck pilot) and did a great job running 20 meters both Saturday
and Sunday mornings. My wife Karen was able to help keep the station on the air
when several of the operators left to go to K1TWF's annual Halloween party. I
keep trying to get Mike (who is also a contester but only CW really) to
schedule the party on either the weekend before or after CQWWSSB but he's not
always able. This was one of those years. Another serendipity was sunspots.
It's nice to see 10 meters back again. The new 10 meter antennas we put up last
year worked very well.

Band conditions were terrible on the low bands the first night. They improved
somewhat for the second night. I guess that's the price we pay for having
sunspots again. The conditions on the high bands have improved and we're
looking forward to more sunspots.

MVP for this contest goes to KB1TBU who not only had fun during the contest but
put in a great effort getting the station ready.

On to CW!

K0TV