[3830] CQWW SSB VE3JM SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB VE3JM SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 20:17:46 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE3JM
Operator(s): VE3JM
Station: VE3JM

Class: SOAB HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 42

  160:  208    11       23
   80:  647    17       59
   40:  680    24       82
   20: 1322    27       86
   15: 1521    25       90
   10:   56     7       17
------------------------------

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

I am looking forward to the CW leg in 4 weeks, but decided to see how my new
station will play in the SSB contest.

At this moment there is a single 72 feet high tower with a Skyhawk tribander at
72 feet and XM240 at 80 feet. There are separate verticals for 80 and 160. The
160 antenna is only 50 feet high with the T wires at the top, but it has 32
radials. A weekend before the contest I installed a 600 feet long reversible
Beverage, but didn't have time to play with it.

Since there is only one antenna for higher bands, on Friday just before the
contest I put up another small tribander next to the house at 20 feet - hoping
I can use the second radio. It turned out there was too much interference, so I
will install a vertical for the CW contest.

While I can do SO2R on CW to some extent, I quickly got discouraged from using
the second radio this time - realizing that I need some training for SSB.

The contest was fun for the most part. My first contact was Dave VE3AAQ/VO1AU
on 20 from B1Z. It was nice to see 15 open to Europe both days. 40 was a mess.

I get some intermittent strong power line noise. When it is on, the worst is on
15 meters where the noise is at S9. This weekend it was on for just few hours,
and luckily not at the time when I was on 15. Don VE3RM and I have tried to
localize it with a handheld radio, but to no avail.

The last time I made a serious effort in an SSB contest was 7 years ago from
VO2WL. I used to prefer this mode, but now I am more in favour of CW.