[3830] CQWW SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wparker2@san.rr.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 21:06:02 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 27

  160:    0     0        0
   80:   12     6        6
   40:   22     7        6
   20:   52    17       24
   15:  158    23       58
   10:   24     9       11
------------------------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Rig: Elecraft K-2

Antennas:
10-15-20: 3 el SteppIR up 32 feet
40-80: HF-2V Vertical
_________________________________

I had a commitment this weekend that limited my op time to about 27 hours from
the usual 40 or so. However, the time I had to take off was during the evening
where I usually don't do so well anyway!

An hour before the contest I discovered that the SWR on my 3 element SteppIR
was nearly infinity on all bands!! I climbed the "tower" and the coax checked
OK, so it looked like my SteppIR was coming down for major repairs.

Then I remembered about the slippage problem these stepper motors sometimes
have. The manual is very clear about it and states that the first thing you
should do in case of any problems with the antenna is to use the "Calibrate"
mode which resets the stepper motors.  That took all of 90 seconds and the
SteppIR was right back to its original specs!! Fortunately all that delayed my
start by only 30 minutes.

Good Qs included:

10M: 3 FOs in 5 minutes on the first nite, an E5 and a couple VKs. All this
despite the late start!
15M: GJ2A, B1Z, 6W1RY, 9M8Z, WH2DDK & AH0BT. And an amazing 35% of my 15M Qs
were in Eur!
20M: Nothing special.
40M: Nothing special.
80M: NP4A. He was an new band country from home. And JH1OGC was able to pull
out my weak signal with a lot perseverence on his part. TKS!!!

So it is nice to see the bands improving.  On Sunday I was able to start
working Europe easily at only 1/2 hour after my sunrise!

So it was a lot of fun, and I'm looking forward to to the CW weekend. For the
CW weekend I will be working from my friend Phil's contest station (N0KE) while
he goes to TI5N. Hope to see you all then!

Bill Parker  W8QZA / W6QU