[3830] CQWW SSB W0UA(@K0RF) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w0ua@aol.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB W0UA(@K0RF) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 21:34:30 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W0UA
Operator(s): W0UA
Station: K0RF

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: CO
Operating Time (hrs): 46
Radios: SO2R

  160:   32    11       18
   80:  166    27       62
   40:  556    32       73
   20:  640    36       96
   15:  777    31       97
   10:  104    12       30
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

There now, that wasn't so easy, was it?  But if it has to be Phone...make it
CQWW Phone! At its exhilirating best and mind-numbing worst there's nothing
else like it.  Kinda' like the biggest, funnest root canal you've ever had...

Our old pal Mr. Murphy dropped by 2 hours before the start and promptly crashed
the hard drive on the SO2R station computer.  With his usual heroics, Chuck had
things straightened-up with 20 minutes to spare.  He even invented some new
words.  The "Murph" also ensured that our ever-present transimit-audio hum was
there & provided amplifier problems on the Station 1 87A.  Fortunately, these
were in the annoyance and not the show-stopper category.

For a LOT of this contest it felt as if we were on the fringe of coverage to
EU.  Lots of unanswered CQ's and way better results in Hunt & Call mode.  How
can the loud guys be THAT much louder than the not-loud guys?  I echo the
comments of K5TR and W9RE about finding  guilt-free Running QRG's--and that
applied out here on 15 as well as 20.  With the SSN up the whole USA is no
longer a skip-zone on 15.  And 20 is ... well, 20.  Thank heavens for JA!  The
North-South paths were intense on the high bands both afternoons, right down
the spectrum from 10 to 20.

Funniest moment was in the last 5 minutes.  Chuck ambled in and between Q's I
was specuating about the "October Surprise," a phenomenon associated with
elections.  But I was asking who it would be in the last minutes?  4S7?  ZD9?
V8?  And just as I finished that question and with under 2 minutes left, 9M6LSC
came back to the next CQ.  Ya' gotta' LOVE that stuff!

OK, thanks Chuck, thanks all for the fun weekend, and back to Charles
Whiskey...