[3830] CQWW SSB W6PH SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w6ph@aol.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB W6PH SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 07:05:52 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W6PH
Operator(s): W6PH
Station: W6PH

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Lone Pine, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 23

  160:    0     0        0
   80:   75    22       36
   40:   99    23       42
   20:  351    32       99
   15:  340    31       77
   10:   44    10       12
------------------------------
Total:  914   118      266  Total Score = 950,784

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

My wife's 97 year old aunt passed away this past week and the funeral and
family gathering was on Saturday.  So I knew I was going to miss most of
Saturday.  That lowered my motivation level by several notches.  I'm not a
real big fan of phone contests but I seem to get drawn into them and this
one was fun despite all the splatter and QRM.  Ninety-five percent of my
contacts were S&P and it's always a rush finding another new mult.  But
I couldn't find that 100th country on 20m.

My antennas are basically field day style raised on AB-577 masts.  I used
the 3 el 20m monobander from CQP and had it up at 55 feet.  My very old
homebrew 5 el 15m monobander was on another AB-577 at 50 feet.  It had
been laying under the sage brush for 15 years.  My 40-2CD didn't go up after
I knew that it was going to be a low key effort.  Instead I used a 40m
vertical.  I tried a 80 m sloper off the mast that had the 15m beam and
I was very satisfied with its performance.  My permanent A3S (from W1MD)
on 40 feet of Rohn 25 was used on 10 meters and it gave me directional
diversity on 20m and 15m.  No antenna for 160m.  I decided the effort/benefit
ratio was too low to put one up.

I'm still using a TS-930S (w/ Piexx board) that I bought in 1982 and Big
AL (AL-1200) provides the muscle.  My logging program was CT-DOS
9.57 on a very old NEC 486-50 laptop(from W1MD).  It works perfectly
so I don't feel a need to upgrade.  And I don't have that mouse thingie
in my way.

I thought the bands (other than 10 meters) were in pretty decent shape.  I'm
looking forward to CW and will have the 40-2CD up as well as a 160m antenna.

I have really enjoyed the contests from here in Lone Pine.  There is
no noise and I have great neighbors.  And zero problems with zoning.

                       73, Kurt, W6PH