[3830] CQWW SSB VY2TT(K6LA) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB VY2TT(K6LA) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 15:00:25 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VY2TT
Operator(s): K6LA
Station: VY2TT

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: PEI
Operating Time (hrs): 23
Radios: SO2R

  160:   60    11       20
   80:  270    13       49
   40:  352    19       76
   20:  551    25       69
   15: 1166    20       74
   10:   40    11       18
------------------------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

The irony, the irony. I arrived at the PEI DX Lodge about 1:30 AM Wednesday
morning. At 9 PM I emailed my son that all the new equipment was installed and
working and all repairs had been made. The World Series was on and all was
right with the world. Little did I know Murphy was lurking. After the game, I
went on my laptop to read my email, and got the blue screen of death. I
couldn't even reinstall Windows. OK, no big deal. I was planning to run
propagation software on the laptop, but I have plenty of other computers. After
waking up, I found that one of my K3s had an IO3 error and wouldn't work. K3
tech support couldn't solve the problem so I has to swap in an Icom 7800. OK,
no big deal.

Later, I found out that the prop pitch under my 40 meter yagi flamethrower
would only turn CCW. Jeff at Green Heron gave me his best shot at
troubleshooting, but after a puff of smoke from a custom relay board he had
supplied, I knew I had a problem as the yagi was pointing due North and Europe
is at 60 degrees. Luckily, I got a climber out Friday morning to see if there
was some physical hang up with the prop pitch, but no joy. At least I got the
yagi pointed directly at EU.

About 16 hours into the contest, with things going modestly well, and having
just had one of my first 200+ hours running EU, my keyboard and mouse stopped
working. After troubleshooting and rebooting, I got it to work, but it cost 45
minutes. A couple of hours later the mouse and keyboard went away for good.
After troubleshooting again, I plugged in a USB mouse and keyboard and they
worked. However, by then I was mentally defeated by Murphy and just played
around here and there after.

I did have one major highlight. With about 3 hours left in the contest, I found
a frequency on 20 meters and had a 303 hour running the U.S. Now that was a
kick. 9 QSOs in one minute. 8 in a few others. Wow.

73, Ken, K6LA / VY2TT