[3830] CQWW SSB N4XL SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB N4XL SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 04:51:53 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N4XL
Operator(s): N4XL
Station: N4XL

Class: SOAB LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 31.5

  160:    5     3        3
   80:   44    12       21
   40:   52    14       36
   20:  268    26       82
   15:  332    29       92
   10:   82     7       17
------------------------------

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Great 15m opening.  Glad it's back.

Well, Murphy stopped by with an intermittent failure of my 80/40 mtr vertical
-- my primary and only real DX antenna. A horizontal loop at 25 ft using 100
watts didn't really work very well for non-domestic contacts.  Anyway, 2-3
hours of prime operating time was spent troubleshooting that and crawling on
the roof troubleshooting, jumpering out switches, and running new coax to solve
it. Turned out to be a failed solder joint at the feed point of the vertical.  A
lesson learned for me is take the time to logically troubleshoot problems before
simply trying the first thing you think it might be.  Saves time in the long run
even though you think you might be doing better by jumping on the first thing
you think of.

Also had a known problem with loss of communications between my rig and
computer.  I know that I missed manually entering band switches several times
and went back to manually changed them as soon as I figured it out.  It's rough
trying to change logged bands on previous qso's and still work new ones at the
same time.  You think someone would make a log program that allows that! (Hi
Hi)  I am sure I messed some up and that will cost me some Q's and Mults.
We'll see how the final score falls out.

Thanks to all.

Kevan
N4XL