[3830] CQWW SSB ED5T(@EA5ELT) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, dlindsay.vlc@mscspain.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB ED5T(@EA5ELT) M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 09:15:30 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: ED5T
Operator(s): EA5DF, EA5GS, EA5KV, EA5ON, EA5GIE, EB5EKT, EB5HTC, EA5YI, EA5HSI
Station: EA5ELT

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Torrent
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   38     5       38
   80:  409    18       86
   40: 1232    31      108
   20: 1305    37      126
   15: 1868    39      128
   10:  114    24       68
------------------------------

Club: Torrent Contest Club

Comments:

A fun weekend at the Torrent Contest Club.

We had set ourselves what we considered to be a reasonable goal, which was to
improve on our Spanish Multi/Single record set last year. In spite of several
station improvements, we fell short of our goal by around 300.000 points

It seems like our old friend Murphy didnâ??t like the look of the weather this
weekend and stayed away. However heâ??s been a regular visitor to our station
over the last year and even on the eve of the contest he was lurking in the
shadows. The repair of our old AL1200 was a long drawn out story and even
Friday night it was sparking a bit and refused to work either on 10 or 160m.
The rigs werenâ??t exempt either, with a half deaf second receiver on the
FT2000 and none of our TS850s working properly. We were saved by the bell when
on Friday morning I went round to EA5DFVs to pick up his TS850, only to
discover later that day that we did not have the TX opened up on either 40m or
160m! Thanks Jose Miguel for allowing us to open it up. The tower motor stopped
working 2 weeks before the contest so we werenâ??t able to test different
heights. The new stub switching box, made by Juan EA5GIE, had an impedance
problem on 10 and 15 which took ages to track down and in the end we changed
those stubs manually. EA5DFV also lent us his stubs, made of a better quality
coax and with higher attenuation, we used the 10 and 15m ones. The tailtwister
on the second tower also kept getting stuck and needing a quick swing in
reverse to get it moving again in the right direction. Every time it did this
our hearts sank, thankfully it kept going but we really need to think about
getting a new for that tower. Iâ??m sure Iâ??m forgetting other Murphy attacks
tooâ?¦.

ED5T is in economical dire straits and the crisis is still biting here. We are
still looking for a sponsor who would like to gift us a few Acom 2000s and Icom
7800s, but in the meantime, we have to do with the limited budget available. We
are fortunate however to have a team where each member offers different skills
and knowledge, and thatâ??s what makes it all work. This year we have two new
rookies on the team, EA5YI Abelardo and EA5HSI Toni, and weâ??re sure that they
will also start to add their skills. And although all of us work together,
weâ??d like to make a special mention to Juan EA5GIE, without whose technical
and electronics knowledge, all of this would be a whole lot more difficult.

As every year, we would like to thank all of those who help make the CQWW party
possible. First off, all those intrepid expeditionaries who go to remote corners
of the globe to give us a multiplier. Also to our families, who shoulder our
responsibilities for a while so we can enjoy our hobby. Our friends, for
example EA5DFV, EA5FXK, and EA5TP, examples of friendship and generosity which
we really appreciate. And of course to Torrent council, who cede us the club
premises and without which, none of this would be possible. THANK YOU, to all
of you, for helping us enjoy this crazy hobby!

RUN: FT-2000, AL-1200
MULT: TS850S, Expert 1K
Tower 1: Optibeam OB11-3, rotary 40m dipole, bazookas for 80 and 160m
Tower 2: Optibeam OB11-3, rotary 40m dipole
+ RX antenna

73 de Duncan EA5ON on behalf of the ED5T team.