[3830] CQWW SSB AA4V/VP9 M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, aa4v@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB AA4V/VP9 M/S LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 13:54:04 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: AA4V/VP9
Operator(s): AA4V/VP9, N4SF/VP9
Station: AA4V/VP9

Class: M/S LP
QTH: Bermuda
Operating Time (hrs): 46

  160:  166     8       11
   80:  504    17       62
   40: 1384    27       87
   20: 1095    28       86
   15: 1042    24       84
   10:   45     9       21
------------------------------

Club: Carolina DX Association

Comments:

The AA4V/VP9 2010 CQ WW Phone contest operation is now history. Since FedEx lost
our beam, Gay, N4SF and I opted to operate as a multi-single using 2 Butternut
verticals (HF9V and HF2V w/160M kit) rather than a multi-2 as in past years.
The antennas were mounted on a cliff about 75 feet above the Atlantic Ocean,
using a 50 radial field for each. The beam never showed up but it was
eventually found in Memphis stuck away in a corner. The consensus is that no
one wanted to pick it up and carry it on the plane.

DX conditions were quite good through the 29th. On Friday morning, the SS count
plunged from 70+ to 30+, not a good sign. Unfortunately, Tropical storm Shari
chose 0Z to appear over our shack with 70 MPH winds, torrential rain and
serious lightning. It blew all night. Our plan to open on 20M turned out not to
be a good idea as we had about 3 contacts in the first 10 minutes. We then QSYed
to 40M and the fun began. The rig was the Elecraft K3 which worked flawlessly.
Amazingly, we were able to eclipse our score from last year (3900 Qs/3.6M
points as a multi-2 with the beam) with a score of 4236 Qs/4.76M points
(subject to log checking) running the VP9 legal limit of 100W. 40 was our best
band, closely followed by 20 and 15.

Please do NOT send QSL cards via the buro as all contacts will be QSLed by me
using GlobalQSL and LOTW. Return Buro QSLs are not necessary. The logs for VP9
will be uploaded to LOTW by this week-end. Thanks to all for the contacts. See
you in February from KH6.