[3830] CQWW SSB K1KI(KM1P) SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB K1KI(KM1P) SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 16:03:16 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K1KI
Operator(s): KM1P
Station: K1KI

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: Connecticut
Operating Time (hrs): 28
Radios: SO2R

  160:   23     8       14
   80:   66    19       48
   40:  194    27       80
   20:  666    36      109
   15:  914    30      116
   10:   30    13       19
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

This was a partial weekend event for me.  I had to run back to Boston to assist
with Halloween activities, so I ended up putting in about 28 hours in the chair
with the last QSO just before 1700 UTC on Sunday.  Conditions to Asia were
fantastic, as evidenced by BY1OK answering my CQ in the first minute of the
contest.  Lots of activity from BY.  Conditions weren't perfect, however,
because Tom got an e-mail on Sunday from a 3W who said he was calling me for an
hour on 15m Saturday morning around 12Z.  Of course at that time there was so
much activity that I was having trouble hearing the 100W/dipole/attic crowd
from Europe through the QRM.  Also, I might have had an 80M QSO with E2E on
Sunday morning, but I never heard a conformation.  It felt like some
optimization problem "If you are 50% sure you made the QSO, but if you're wrong
they'll ding you for 'three more equivalent QSO's' do you log it?  Explain how
you arrived at your 50% confidence level"

I had a fun time on 10M, with that band doing the things 10M does.  I could
hear guys not 100 miles away telling people I could not hear that they were 20
over 9 ... then 5 minutes later they were blowing my ears out. K1TTT 30 miles
away provided an excellent beacon for me to convince myself that the radio was
working right during those times that the band was otherwise silent.  I worked
a bunch of guys from Sicily, but could not raise mainland Italy.  Never managed
to snag PY on that band ... perhaps those guys were too busy electing their new
president.

40 M was a challenge,  I had to work hard to convince myself to run there as
opposed to the much more fun multiplier chasing on other bands.  It was work,
but I was able to get QSO's and mults.  I tried working split for 10 minutes or
more, but no takers.  All QSO's resulting from my CQ's were simplex.  160 seemed
pretty good too, I could hear Europeans working each other.

A big thank you to Tom and Kacy for hosting.

-Joe KM1P