[3830] SS CW N4RV(KE3X) SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kenlow7@aol.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW N4RV(KE3X) SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 19:02:23 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N4RV
Operator(s): KE3X
Station: N4RV

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Oakton, VA
Operating Time (hrs): 24.0

------------
  160:    0
   80:  458
   40:  396
   20:  237
   15:   24
   10:    0
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

What a blast!   I had the most fun weekend in 35 years of radio.   Jack, N4RV
invited me over to drive his station in SS CW to help PVRC fend of the NCCC
Challenge this year.   Many highlights to talk about:

- first sweep ever for me (but many before already for Jack)
- first 24-hour SS effort
- first time over 1,000 QSO's in SS
- off time management was right out of the PVRC Playbook (single 4-hour sleep
overnight, then a few 30-minute breaks during midday Sunday)
- power company showed up 1 1/2 before end of SS CW to fix noisy recycling
streetlights, after a month of requests (better late than never!)
- good decision to run on 14.025 at dusk, and had a 90-hour to the West which
helped the overall QSO count

Also some areas for improvement next time:

- first 4 hours averaged only 60+ QSO's per hour - took a while to get going
- need much more SO2R practice, need to hook up the DX Doubler box at home.
would have been nice to hit packet spots on 20-M when I was CQ'ing on 40-M
early on Sunday morning
- need to learn more about N1MM features

The QSO total reflected our goal to maximize rate.   No 10-meters at all, and
certainly no 160.   I used N4RV's callsign since I thought the
callsign-recognition would help.   Great call!   In fact, I lost count of the
'Hi Jacks' after the first 30 or so.   It was sort of like spending the weekend
with President Clinton :-)

Go PVRC!

Ken KE3X