[3830] SS CW VA7ST Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW VA7ST Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 20:33:38 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 17

------------
  160:
   80:  141
   40:  160
   20:  341
   15:  116
   10:
------------

Club: Orca DXCC

Comments:

2010 -- Flux: 85  | A: 1  | K: 0
2009 -- Flux: 71  | A: 0  | K: 0
2008 -- Flux: 68  | A: 1  | K: 0

* FT-2000 and N1MM Logger, SO1R unassisted
* tribander at 27'
* 40M Steppir dipole at 27'
* 80M 2 x elevated verticals
* 270' Beverage E-W

Well, can't complain about conditions on the bands -- they were pretty good.
Most seemed in good cheer about us all being in the same crowded boat.

Ended Saturday night with 443 Qs, 74 mults, and 65,564 points -- missing NE,
RI, VT, NL, NWT and QC.

Sunday morning, I woke up at dawn to a raging wind and rain storm. It was over
within minutes, and I could hear the doink-doink drips in the dead-calm silence
that followed. Was walking down the stairs to the radio room when the house went
dark. The storm cell had moved on and took some trees with it. Power was out for
more than three hours. I was very demoralized sitting at the desk with no power
yet at 1700z.

I got some extra sleep but missed a lot of great radio time. When the power was
back on, I got all but NL and NWT with a few hours to go. Spent a valuable hour
combing 15M, 20M and 40M hoping to find them, but no luck. No sweep.

Finding new stations was very hard on Sunday afternoon, and unable to find a
place to run on 20M or 40M, I went to 80M and managed to work a few -- WCF from
BC in broad daylight. Pulled the plug with more than half an hour to go: rate
was below 10/hour by then and the dinner bell rang. The lost hours in the
morning had put me a long way behind my previous LP best (last year), but I
closed to within 18 Qs and 2,700 points of that.

Thanks for the Qs. Will be on for WAE RTTY, and perhaps some of SS Phone. See
you in there.

-- Bud VA7ST
http://www3.telus.net/va7st
http://orcadxcc.org

Year   QSOs   Pts  Sec    Score
2010   758   1516   78  118,248    LP 17 hrs
2009   775   1550   78  120,900    LP 20 hrs
2008   902   1804   80  144,320 <- HP 19 hrs
2007   837   1674   78  130,572 <- HP 21 hrs
2006   648   1296   79  102,384
2005   527   1054   73   76,942
2004   580   1160   80   92,800
2003   182     --   52   18,928