[3830] SS CW KI7MT Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ki7mt@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW KI7MT Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 00:01:57 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: KI7MT
Operator(s): KI7MT
Station: KI7MT

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Helena, MT
Operating Time (hrs):

------------
  160:
   80:  227
   40:  278
   20:
   15:  154
   10:
------------

Club:

Comments:

First, thanks to the ARRL for continuing this event, and to all those who
participated.

Got the Sweep, hopefully no critical Q's are busted :-)

WOW, what an event. Was the first full CW contest I've played in apart from the
odd QSP here an there but, nothing on the scale of this and it certainly showed
in my run performance, I have allot of work to do in that area.

I could not do the entire contest due to other commitments Sunday, so I stayed
in the chair / shack for as long as I could (abt 18hrs or so). I left the shack
for one short break and a coffee run.

BANDS:

Well, for me the condx seemed very good. 80/40 were as quiet as I've heard them
in a very long time and 15M's was open at the contest start and shortly after
sunrise, even at twilight / greyline time I could hear strong sigs Sunday
morning.

Although I didn't have as many Q's on 15 as 40/80, they were tough multi's. I
knocked out PAC, HI, AK, VI in the first 30 mins or so, and Sunday morning I
got lucky and worked WD0T, SD and VY1EI - he was S9 Plus 20 here (Huge Pile Up,
but stumbled upon him early) to finish the sweep. I was shocked to hear SD on
15M, but was a welcome surprise fer sure as I did not hear them at all on
40/40.

20M well, I made the call before the test started while chatting with K9UIY the
night before, that I would skip the 20M adventure :-)

10M - Heard a few sigs, but did not put any time into it as 15M was doing very
well for what was needed.

MT was well represented in this one. Worked 6 MT stations. KB7Q, Gene was
ripping off Q's faster than I can count. Pat, N9RV was also screaming along
nicely. With those two in the mix, MT became a non-problem Multi. They are
amazing CW ops.

QRP STATIONS:

There were allot of you fellas out there this time and many with amazing sigs.
Many were just as strong as the LP stations. Worked many from coast to coast.
There were a few that I just could not pull out, sri abt that.

OPERATOR & GEAR

Well, the hardware worked perfect, no issues with Rigs, Antennas, AMP, Computer
or logging SW this time. The problem was the operator, "yours truly". I had a
terrible time with the Keyboard. I made many mistakes which really slowed
things down, but all was resolved b4 the Q's ended. TNX to all those who were
patient with my fumbling thumbs.

Overall, was a really fun contest. Allot of hard work though I must say. The
Quality of the CW ops that I heard was amazing really, many outstanding CW ops
here in the US.

Station Setup:
RIG: FT-1000MP
AMP: AL-1500 @ abt 500-700 wts
TUN: AT5K
80M: Inv-V, Apex at 65ft, 90deg spacing.
40M: Full Size Vertical
15M: 40M vert with AT5K

TNX for all the Q's and putting up with my Keyboard fumbling. See ya in WAE
RTTY TEST then SSB half of the SS.

Logs sent to LoTW & eQSL for those interested.

73's
Greg
KI7MT
Helena, MT.