[3830] SS CW K3TN Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW K3TN Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 03:09:40 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K3TN
Operator(s): K3TN
Station: K3TN

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: MDC
Operating Time (hrs): 15

------------
  160:
   80:  385
   40:  253
   20:  106
   15:   10
   10:
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I followed my usual routine and by 1550 EST I had the logging program all set
up, the PC clock synchronized to WWV, the rig set up for starting on 20m and my
snacks nearby. I thought it was odd that so few stations were CQing to save
frequencies and at 1600:01 EST I thought it was *really* odd that absolutely no
one was CQing. Then I realized that, for the first time I can remember, 1600Z at
the start of SS CW was only 2000Z, not 2100Z...

My daughter was coming home from college, so this was only going to be a part
time effort for the PVRC club score. But, she delayed her return until Sunday,
so I had solid butt-in-chair for the first night. At the *real* start I S&Ped
up and down for pretty good rate on 20, stopping to try CQing whenever I found
a hole. With just a Windom at 45' I couldn't get anything going, but I did have
VY0JA call in and give me NT within the first hour! That was great because it
saved my having to search up and down 15 looking for that one on Sunday.

The rest of the night was alternating between 80 and 40, S&Ping until I found a
spot to run. I alternated between middle of the band, top of the band and extra
portion. This year I acquired a Titan 425, so I was much more able to protect
my frequency compared to running the 400W amp. However, the TenTec amp is
hardwired to my TS-850, with the 400w amp hardwired to the K3. So, to use the
big amp I had to use the 850.

This wasn't a big deal until I got to 80 at the same time as Roger K1DQV who
lives about .5 miles airline away. All of a sudden the CW signals would turn
random, as Roger's signal and the strong 80M signals completely swamped the
850. I had to throw in 18db of attenuation, which meant a lot of button pushing
on the 850 when weaker west coast signals were coming back. The K3 receiver
performed better, but then I would only have 400w. The goal next year is to
have two antennas and some real switching vs. just either/or.

I would set up the 850 and Titan on a run frequency and then when I was ready
to QSY and S&P another band, I would use the K3 and the transistor amp. Later
in the evening I did this to make a run across 20 looking for west coast mults
and thought the K3 RX had died - there wasn't a single signal coming through.
My external birdies were still there, though - 20 just absolutely shut down
here. But I had NE and most of the VE sections call in when I was running and
for the first time ever had the sweep on the first night.

I finished the first 10 hours (which I thought were 9 hours because I didn't
notice that at 0200 EST the PC clock automatically went back an hour) ahead of
last year's first night total, but I had less time on Sunday this year. I ended
up about 10% fewer Qs but 1 extra mult (thanks VY0JA!) compared to last year. I
sneaked in more operating on Sunday to add to the club score and another SS was
in the books.