[3830] SS CW AC0DS Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, craig@powersmith.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW AC0DS Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 08:46:20 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: AC0DS
Operator(s): AC0DS
Station: AC0DS

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CO - Longmont
Operating Time (hrs): 22.5

------------
  160:
   80:  264
   40:  219
   20:  291
   15:   41
   10:
------------

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

My main goals for this contest are always to better my score from the previous
year and to get the elusive sweep.  Did not achieve either this year, so
overall I am disappointed, although did have some fun along the way.

Single K3 at 100W, P3 panadapter, N1MM logger, temporary 102 ft doublet at 35
ft and temporary 43 ft vertical.

Got off to a fairly slow start as could not establish any significant runs on
20 on Saturday.  40 seemed fairly poor here - usually I can do a decent rate
there on Saturday night.  But 80 was excellent, even with my inefficient
antennas.  80 more than compensated for the frustration I was having with 40.

I was pretty hopeful about finally getting a sweep, as I had 79 sections by 11
AM local on Sunday.  But despite spending most all of the remaining daylight
hours on 15 and 20, I didn't hear a peep out of NL.  Same section I missed last
year. Did work several VE1s, but close doesn't count.

15 was a welcome surprise.  By far the most Qs I've gotten there in a
sweepstakes.

Surprise weather front moved through around noon on Sunday with some strong
gusty wind.  My temporary vertical was blowing over at an alarming angle and
running into the doublet.  So took the vertical down and ran the remainder of
the contest with just the doublet.

Did have a good run on 20 late Sunday afternoon, but still could not catch up
to my totals from last year.  Then found both 40 and 80 fairly noisy and did
not get much of a rate going on either one.  Soon became evident that I could
not make my Q goal and that I would not hear from NL on either 40 or 80.  So
pulled the plug early after 22.5 hours.

Worked several GMCC folks.  Thanks to all for your Qs and support!

73   Craig  AC0DS