[3830] SS CW KB4KBS SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, scottstraw@mindspring.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW KB4KBS SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 18:19:12 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: KB4KBS
Operator(s): KB4KBS
Station: KB4KBS

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 14 HRS

------------
  160:    0
   80:    0
   40:   67
   20:   46
   15:    7
   10:    0
------------

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

I apologize to all - I was an UNLIMITED station, but ignorantly listed myself
with a "A" precedence.  Not that it should be a big deal in the larger picture,
but want to be honest about my 120 QSO that I worked over the span of 14
hours...

The station is still provisional - I did get a new power supply so I'm back to
a full 100W, but I'm still on the indoor Slinky dipole in the attic.  I bought
a TWO dual monitor cards for $5.00 at the Stone Mountain Hamfest earlier in the
day, and installed one of them just in time for the contest.  It really does
make a difference!  I'm getting the knack of N1MM, and having discovered and
installed VSPE during the week made things better as well.

The contest was a good learning experience for me... I knew I wasn't going to
be a contender, so I focused on working as many multipliers as I could.  I
heard but didn't work PAC, AK, NL, MB, SK, and NWT, but did work AB, BC, and
even MAR.  The "no excuses" misses were NFL, WV, AR, LA, MS, and OK.

My biggest lesson learned is to fight the urge to get into a pile-up for a rare
multiplier.  Give up the delusion of busting through the mess with my pitiful
signal, and focus on getting the "low-hanging fruit". I'm not going to get a
clean sweep with all of my handicaps - an indoor dipole, 100W, CWSkimmer, etc.
There were at least three 15 and 20 minute periods I wasted chasing PAC, NWT,
and NL.

Thanks to all who worked me,

Scott, KB4KBS
Roswell, GA