[3830] SS CW K4VU(@KY5R) SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, v31rg@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW K4VU(@KY5R) SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 19:04:44 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K4VU
Operator(s): K4VU
Station: KY5R

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: AL
Operating Time (hrs): 22.5

------------
  160:
   80:  309
   40:  438
   20:  194
   15:   65
   10:   19
------------

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

First, thanks to Tim/KY5R for use of his fine station.

SS is not my favorite contest, but when the opportunity to use KY5R's newly
revamped and automated station came up, I (reluctantly) jumped at it.  The
station is extremely easy to use, with most common functions abstracted behind
a fully automated switching system and no-tune Alpha amplifiers.

I wasn't fully satisfied with my outing, even though it turned out an okay
score.  First, even just a few hours before the contest, my head just wasn't
there.  I felt more like I wandered into the operating position rather than
planned for it.  There's just too much going on elsewhere, so it was easy to
keep my preoccupation directed towards work and other interests.

Second, my first few hours weren't as productive as I would have liked.  I
opened on 40, but even with a good frequency and a 2 element yagi at 80 feet, I
couldn't seem to get a good run going for several hours.  It wasn't until I
moved to 80 that my sustained rate went over 100 an hour.

Third, keeping my butt in the chair turned out to be what got me caught up
somewhat in Q total, but it wasn't easy.  Sunday is always the same every time
in SS, and it took KY5R's coaching and shaming from a variety of hams he
conversed with throughout the contest.  Don't underestimate the power of
shaming from other contesters -- its a powerful motivator.  It kept me in the
chair when I'd rather had been outside in the nice weather.

About four hours into the contest, I looked up to see smoke pouring out of the
Alpha.  I had blown something in the no-tune circuit.  Tim's station is so well
designed, an incident which would have normally taken me out of the contest (or
delayed participation) turned out to only be a minor delay -- Tim merely
switched the amp to manual tune for 40 and off I went, everything working just
fine.

The one takeaway I have from this contest is that in order to be truly
competitive, two things will have to happen:

+ I will have to go SO2R, along with possible other automation (such as skimmer
networks).
+ I will have to get my opening game working (whatever that means -- and I have
an entire year to think about it).

Thanks for all of the Q's.  It was great working all of the NCCC folks who I
left nearly a year ago for the more family-infested climate of north Alabama.

See you from V31RG for ARRL 10!

73
Robin / K4VU