[3830] SS CW K3KU Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, artboyars@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW K3KU Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 20:17:11 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K3KU
Operator(s): K3KU
Station: K3KU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:
   80:  435
   40:  158
   20:  108
   15:   28
   10:
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

First ever Sweep from home.  No packet, no Skimmer, no help -- "Just a boy and
his [one, 100W and a lonely dipole] radio." (As per K0HB).  Even though I
called CQ a lot more than I used to, only one any-kind-of-rare mult (VO1BZM)
came from a CQ*.  All others were S&P.

Things were looking bleak with a few hours to go, still missing five tough
ones, incl this year's surprise, NE.  Then I got AK.  Then NT (YESSS!!! second
time ever, from home).  Then VE5ZX (he always shows up, but sometimes ya'
worry).  Then KE0Z/VE4 (whew!).  And, like many others in the 'Test, still no
NE.

I had heard a W6 station on 20M thanking somebody "for my first NE", but never
heard that NE station in the 'Test.  With about two hours to go I resigned
myself to missing the Sweep because of Nebraska.  Sigh.

I did what I could, listening hard for 0-land calls when S&P, and calling CQ on
the bands open to Nebraska; lots of CO, some KS, etc., but it was like somebody
had put an aether shield over Nebraska.  Sunday evening, as 20M closed and then
40M "went long", I worked the heck out of 80M, hoping that it would go long
enough to reach Nebraska.  The band got long by the last hour (I even worked a
Big Gun W6 who needed a zillion repeats to get my nr), but still no Nebraska.

Then, as I was doing an S&P trip down the band, I tuned past a weak-ish
somebody sending the end of his call, some ck numbers, and ... "NE"!!!  Whoa!
Stop and see if he is CQ or S&P; get ready to guess which way he will tune if
S&P.  Why is the guy he is working so confused???  OK, he got it.  Aha!  It's
W0DB, running.  Better get him before the packet/Skimmer pileup shuts me out.
If he's weak here, then I'm gonna be weak there; won't be easy.  Please,
please, please, 80M -- peak and don't fade!  First QSO -- beaten out.  Second
QSO -- YES!!!!!!!!!!!

As I wrote last year (or was it the year before?):  "Yeah, yeah.  The Sweep is
not important -- if you always get one anyhow."  Now I've got one, and I did it
the Old Fashioned way, and I feel great, and my family is happy for me, and I am
so ever going to get myself a mug.  I feel like a kid again.

Oh, my score?  It's a little above my previous home best (2002), which was with
paper logs and 150W from Drake twins.  That log had a few more QSOs (it was not
checked) and only 78 Sections.  This year's claimed score is about 2K higher,
but will surely drop from LCR.

[* a lot of redundant mult's did answer CQs.  In fact, at one point I got
called by ND and SD right in a row.]